Hogwarts | Ilvermorny | Beauxbatons | Durmstrang | Ministry | MACUSA | St. Mungo's | World | Past | AU

Image Getting Started - Image Rosters - Image House Cup - Image Rules - Image App - Image Wanted

Current Events: The Desolate Forest, X-Men: Reboot

Convergent

Explore any number of fascinating alternate worlds for your characters to take part in.
Sci-Fi Lawrence Keelan
Looking Glass
Position: World Citizen
Player: Shayne

Re: Convergent

Post by Sci-Fi Lawrence Keelan » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:29 am

We learn a bit more about Sonne and Soleil, their parents were politicians and their real reason for entering Dauntless wasn't too far from what they'd stated. They were always under scrutiny by everyone around them to be as honest as possible, and they simply didn't agree with it. Sometimes you didn't have to say everything that was on your mind at all times. Their family was tactless, over-criticizing... sounded like a peace of work.

Hiram was raised by soldiers, a long, proud family line of protectors and he wanted to follow in their footsteps. Not the most complicated person at the table, but that's all right.

I'd already figured out Brandt's motivation; it was easy enough to gleam from a moment of processing. Abnegation valued everyone else before themselves. Brandt valued himself. That's not the worst thing in the world. Which left only me. After a while I began to notice everyone's eyes on me. If Abnegation were rare in Dauntless, Amity were practical unicorns. No one wanted to leave Amity. Why would they? No conflict. An abundance of food. Endless love and compassion.

"My test results were Dauntless," I say with a shrug. "I was an outsider in Amity. Always getting into fights. Everyone knew I didn't belong, so I got out."

Sci-Fi Brandt Grayson
Looking Glass
Player: Betty Noir

Post by Sci-Fi Brandt Grayson » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:40 am

The food is delicious and I have to consciously make an effort to pace myself and not just shovel it all in and embarrass myself, or make myself sick.

It's nice getting to know the others. For the first time I feel like I can make real friends, and not just people who want or expect everything from me. Sonne and Soleil are cool, even if they are a little snobby. Hiram is awesome. Reminds me of a firecracker. Small package, big bang.

Then Laurie. The object of my fascination. The one who drew my attention to Dauntless in the first place. There's a fire in him I think I saw the first time I laid eyes on him at the choosing ceremony. I know the others probably see it too. He's drawn us to him like moths to a flame.

I've never wanted to burn so bad in my life... but I still have to learn to survive here. I don't think I carry that same fire.

"Well, you're a good fighter so I can understand why."

Sci-Fi Lawrence Keelan
Looking Glass

Post by Sci-Fi Lawrence Keelan » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:59 am

"Something like that," I smile, but it's plastic. I wonder if Brandt knows the difference. Most people, when they look at me, they see what I want them to see. He's one of the few who see me as I am, and I'm not sure I like it. I've spent my whole life acting, painting a picture. Even now, as it's tough to face, I realize that I'm still acting. I'm just performing for a different audience.

Sci-Fi Brandt Grayson
Looking Glass

Post by Sci-Fi Brandt Grayson » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:08 am

It's a fake smile. I know because I've worn the same one countless times, mostly for my brothers and sister. Everything is ok. We're going to be alright. Let's play a game.

I suddenly feel a deep pang of guilt and regret and it's like mama's gruel just settled heavy in my gut. My appetite disappears.

I just left them.

Sci-Fi Lawrence Keelan
Looking Glass

Post by Sci-Fi Lawrence Keelan » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:12 am

"We'll catch up," I tell everyone else as the group begins to disband after dinner ends.

My inquiry to Brandt is silent as we're left relatively alone, but nonetheless transparent.

Sci-Fi Brandt Grayson
Looking Glass

Post by Sci-Fi Brandt Grayson » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:20 am

I had been quiet for the rest of dinner and offered what was left on my plate to Hiram when he'd asked. After dinner, my steps were heavy as that weighted feeling coiled in my gut, threatening to make the best meal I'd ever tasted come back up for an encore.

I recognize what Laurie's doing, and thankful to him for it. I offer him a wan smile and shove my hands in my pockets. "They don't have anyone to look after them anymore." Because his mama was barely a shell of her former self. Brandt had been the one taking care of them all for the past few years.

Sci-Fi Lawrence Keelan
Looking Glass

Post by Sci-Fi Lawrence Keelan » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:24 am

"You don't think they'd want you to look after yourself?"

Sci-Fi Brandt Grayson
Looking Glass

Post by Sci-Fi Brandt Grayson » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:35 am

"Yes, but--who's gonna look after them?" I may have chosen to leave my birth faction, but I guess a part of abegnation was still with me. Bred in me. How many times had I put my siblings before myself? How many times had their needs been greater than my own even though we were all just children? "I just--left them."

I shake my head. "I'm sorry." Faction before family. I chose Dauntless. I chose to leave them. I now had to live with that choice. I needed this.

Sci-Fi Lawrence Keelan
Looking Glass

Post by Sci-Fi Lawrence Keelan » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:34 pm

"You just have to trust that they have your best interests at heart." I nudge his shoulder again. It's not very comforting, but I've never had the luxury of family so I really can't empathize with him. My father taught me how to fight, how to take a blow, how to survive in Amity, but he wrecked every good thing inside me and burned down my mind, so I simply don't care about him at all. I vacillate between actively wanting to hurt him, and never wanting to see his face again. "And if they don't, well, fuck 'em, right?"

Sci-Fi Brandt Grayson
Looking Glass

Post by Sci-Fi Brandt Grayson » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:03 pm

Yeah. But who was gonna have their best interests at heart. I sigh and nudge him back, again. "Thanks, Lor." We take a few more steps. "So how did you learn to fight?"

Sci-Fi Lawrence Keelan
Looking Glass

Post by Sci-Fi Lawrence Keelan » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:09 pm

"My father. He was Dauntless." I shrug, suddenly uncomfortable having that in common with him. But he chose Amity, and I didn't.

Sci-Fi Brandt Grayson
Looking Glass

Post by Sci-Fi Brandt Grayson » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:21 pm

"Oh." I don't know if I'm sensing his discomfort or confusing it with my own. "Can we train some more tomorrow?"

Sci-Fi Lawrence Keelan
Looking Glass

Post by Sci-Fi Lawrence Keelan » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:54 pm

"Sure, if we've got the time. Not feeling too sore?" I'd taken care not to genuinely hurt him, but I could still see some sporting bruises.

Sci-Fi Brandt Grayson
Looking Glass

Post by Sci-Fi Brandt Grayson » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:27 pm

I looked down at my arms and shrugged. "I'm fine. It doesn't hurt."

Sci-Fi Lawrence Keelan
Looking Glass

Post by Sci-Fi Lawrence Keelan » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:42 pm

"Good," I nod. "Then, yeah."

Sci-Fi Brandt Grayson
Looking Glass

Post by Sci-Fi Brandt Grayson » Sat May 26, 2018 12:53 pm

"I didn't really--know my dad." It's hard for me to admit that. I barely have any memories of him anymore. Just glimpses and flashes, nothing solid. Not anymore. Like a ghost.

Return to “general AUs”