Hogwarts | Ilvermorny | Beauxbatons | Durmstrang | Ministry | MACUSA | St. Mungo's | World | Past | AU

Image Getting Started - Image Rosters - Image House Cup - Image Rules - Image App - Image Wanted

Current Events: The Desolate Forest, X-Men: Reboot

Oscillations

For all past RP, in any location. Put where and when it takes place at the top of the first post in the thread.
Qingying
Ravenclaw
Wand: 13" Larch, Phoenix, Quite Bendy
Position: Charms Professor
School: Hogwarts
Player: Username

Re: Oscillations

Post by Qingying » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:30 pm

“Oh, what I meant was whether there is something, or multiple things, that Mahra perceives, and another person might not. Whether that can be identified.”

Shayne
OOC Account

Post by Shayne » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:36 am

"Well, I happen to be a Legilimens," Yarah revealed quite plainly, "so I can say that a lot of the information Mahra receives is not generally perceived by most people, magical or otherwise. But the way his mind works is that this input can't simply be separated into Ordinary Versus Different, because things that we sense, for example, this table, is interpreted differently by Mahra's brain."

Qingying
Ravenclaw

Post by Qingying » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:24 am

“So… you’re saying, what he senses, and how he interprets them, cannot be fully identified. Essentially, what is currently ‘treatment’ is ‘treating the symptoms, rather than the cause, while trying to find the causes’?”

Shayne
OOC Account

Post by Shayne » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:25 am

"More or less," Yarah nodded. "But in this instance, what we've identified as the cause is not something that can be cured. Not without fundamentally altering Mahra's personality and sense of self."

Qingying
Ravenclaw

Post by Qingying » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:27 am

“And what is that cause?” He felt like she was being vague for his benefit. “Is there any way to block what he perceives on the outside?”

Shayne
OOC Account

Post by Shayne » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:31 am

"There are differences in the formation of a variety of structures in his brain, as well as some additional structures which aren't seen in humans. Essentially it's a global issue, not simply localized to one or two specific areas. Right now, we're experimenting with different techniques," Yarah nodded. "It's a bit of trial and error, between blocking harmful stimuli and blocking all stimuli. It's not exactly as cut-and-dried as you would think, unfortunately. But rest assured he's in the best place possible and working with some highly renowned Healers in the field to ensure his quality of life is excellent."

Qingying
Ravenclaw

Post by Qingying » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:35 am

“That I am sure,” he dipped his head. He would be very angry otherwise. >:c
“How is Laurie different from Mahra, if you’ve taken a look?”

Shayne
OOC Account

Post by Shayne » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:45 am

"Not to sound like a broken record," Yarah laughed gently, "but neurophysiology, pretty much. Laurie's brain didn't develop in the same manner, so he doesn't perceive things in the same way."

Qingying
Ravenclaw

Post by Qingying » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:48 am

Oh, he was realising that she didn’t know he wanted details – but then again, why would she think they’d do anything for him?
“Is there any information on how Veela or Veela-hybrid neurophysiology may change or develop as they age? Or as adults?”

Shayne
OOC Account

Post by Shayne » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:18 am

"Regrettably, no," Yarah winced sympathetically. "Veela culture is exceptionally insular and private. Due to their hybrid status, both Laurie and Mahra are considered Outsiders. Despite our best efforts to reach out to the Veela community in Britain, they haven't offered a whole lot of assistance, other than to say that hybrids are always an unknown variable. They can develop and grow in a number of different ways, either to be more stable like Laurie or more perceptive like Mahra."

Qingying
Ravenclaw

Post by Qingying » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:22 am

“Do we know of any other hybrids?” Then, he clarified: "Know any hybrids?"

Shayne
OOC Account

Post by Shayne » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:50 am

"There have been a few over the years," Yarah nodded, "prior to my working here. I've studied the files and to be honest all I can say is that it simply isn't enough to rely on that information. The information we have is that presentation is so varied amongst Veela hybrids that we have to map each person individually."

Qingying
Ravenclaw

Post by Qingying » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:30 am

“What if, instead of looking at it from presentation, look at it from those who are more stable, and look for differences?
And also, speak to them of their experiences – maybe how they developed, or, if perception was also overwhelming to them but it became less so, find out about this process?”

Shayne
OOC Account

Post by Shayne » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:50 am

"We're currently in the process of contacting the only adult hybrid who's responded to our inquiries," Yarah confirmed. "And I can assure you that we're exploring every possible option."

Qingying
Ravenclaw

Post by Qingying » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:12 am

“I don’t mean to offend,” he dipped his head. “It’s just, a healer’s mind-set is often one that focuses on what is wrong, and sometimes focuses less on what is sound. It’s why I mentioned comparing more stable individuals to those who are less, and comparing stable individuals with other stable individuals to find similarities. I do understand there are limited resources, and people willing to participate.” He paused briefly and gave a small smile. “I do not mean to question any of your competencies.”

Shayne
OOC Account

Post by Shayne » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:49 am

Yarah laughed. "I'm not offended. It's nice to see people taking such an active interest. As a Healer I'm far less interested in the medical model than I am in ensuring my patients are equipped with the resources necessary to deal with life's challenges. Some people have more, some people have less. Some people's treatment is more linear and some people's is less. Mahra falls under the latter category, so, yes, what you propose is essentially along the lines of what we're focusing on."

Qingying
Ravenclaw

Post by Qingying » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:08 pm

“Back to taking Mahra to places like museums – do you know of what would be required to create a safe environment for him? Apart from lessening the number of people. For example, certain stimuli that are stronger than others? You mentioned it’s difficult to identify what is harmful, but perhaps you’ve gained an idea?”

Shayne
OOC Account

Post by Shayne » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:10 pm

"Yes," Yarah nodded. "Although rather broad, the most basic harmful stimulus seems to be an influx of people. Active minds."

Qingying
Ravenclaw

Post by Qingying » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:11 pm

He tilted his head, mildly curious. “Does it make a difference if people are sleeping? Not dreaming… dreaming?”

Young Mahra Keelan
Looking Glass
Wand: 10 1/2" Cedar, Pegasus, Springy
Position: St. Mungo's Patient
Player: Shayne

Post by Young Mahra Keelan » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:13 pm

"I'm uncertain," Yarah glanced to him.

"No," he answered easily, smiling.

"What seems to make the most difference is a person's temperament and volatility. The more unstable the individual, the more negative input he receives."

Qingying
Ravenclaw

Post by Qingying » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:16 pm

“So, it’d be much more comfortable for Mahra” – he looked over at him, to ensure he wouldn’t feel left out, although he knew Mahra wouldn’t think that way – “if we went to places such as quiet beaches or mountains, rather than places with more people, yes?”

Shayne
OOC Account

Post by Shayne » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:16 pm

"Absolutely, that would be my wager." She nodded confidently.

Qingying
Ravenclaw

Post by Qingying » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:31 pm

He nodded. “Have you had more success with certain methods in blocking harmful stimuli so far?” This was slightly more tentative, as it was a direct question for details.

Shayne
OOC Account

Post by Shayne » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:33 pm

"Yes," Yarah nodded. "Myself and Mahra have participated in several Healing Links, and during those times we are connected I am usually able to help him construct a filter, by allowing him to essentially fuse himself with my consciousness and exist within it. This provides him with shielding. I believe this is why Laurie's presence has a positive effect on Mahra, because he uses Laurie as an external mental shield."

Qingying
Ravenclaw

Post by Qingying » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:36 pm

“So this means Mahra and Laurie are connected mentally, usually.”

Return to “the world as we knew it”