Fold Down Your Hands

This forum encompasses all threads set within New York City and its surrounding areas.
XMR William Stryker

X-Men Reboot
Position: DARPA SIGINT Officer
Mutation: Non-Mutant
Alignment: Independent
Player: Shayne

Fold Down Your Hands

Postby XMR William Stryker » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:59 pm

Zahra was in the city doing some errands for Charles when she overheard a commotion up at the front counter of the convenience store. A tall guy in his early thirties was demanding to speak to a manager, barking at the terrified kid at the cash register about being overcharged for beef jerky, or something equally asinine. The point is, this guy was almost certainly a shitty customer!

XMR Leeloo Zahra

X-Men Reboot
Position: Art
Mutation: Vocal Persuasion
Alignment: X-Men
Player: Betty Noir

Re: Fold Down Your Hands

Postby XMR Leeloo Zahra » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:27 am

Zahra, for the most part, was just trying to mind her own business. Still the commotion that the jerk customer was causing was definitely distracting. She selected her favorite six pack of booze and some snacks that went into the basket around her arm before she made her way towards the register.

XMR William Stryker

X-Men Reboot

Postby XMR William Stryker » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:42 pm

After a rapidfire back-and-forth exchange, the guy stalked off, almost barreling Zahra over on his way out of the establishment. He paused, though, before smacking directly into her, but not before sending the items in her arms to the ground. He cleared his throat and grimaced, kneeling to help retrieve them. "My apologies, ma'am." He seemed less rude than earlier I guess?

XMR Leeloo Zahra

X-Men Reboot

Postby XMR Leeloo Zahra » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:18 am

Well, there went her beer which was definitely cracked and leaking now that he had crashed her basket to the floor. She sighed heavily. He had apologized sure but if he hadn't been such a crass asshole in the first place maybe he wouldn't have been trying to storm off and almost run her over in his anger.

The words 'Leave it,' almost left her mouth but she just clenched her teeth and went to the counter to silently gesture for some paper towels which the clerk, who knew her as a regular shopper but thought she was deaf, handed a roll over to her before he went to go grab a dustpan and a mop.

Zahra returned to the man and crouched to help clean up the mess.

XMR William Stryker

X-Men Reboot

Postby XMR William Stryker » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:02 am

The guy sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose, seeming somewhat deflated. He went to speak again but was thankfully informed by the attendant that Zahra was deaf, to which he blinked, and then seamlessly signed, I'm sorry. Are you hurt?

Actually hilariously enough, the only other thread I have ever had with this character also featured a guy who could make people do whatever they want with his voice! This was not a tag, just a little Fun Fact.

XMR Leeloo Zahra

X-Men Reboot

Postby XMR Leeloo Zahra » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:32 am

Some strange schmuck who knew sign language? Talk about serendipity. She was obviously surprised that he knew sign, but she recovered a moment later and shook her head, also motioning the sign for no. No harm, no foul, mate. Just maybe watch where you're going next time before stomping around like a pissed off bull, yeah? Her sign language had an obvious accent that wasn't exactly native to these parts or American Sign but something else. It was English Sign Language for sure, but it wasn't exactly the same ASL the man might be familiar with.

Fortunately the cardboard beer case was securing most of the broken glass so there wasn't much concern for cutting. It was just the actual beer making a wet mess on the floor and it was probably gonna take the whole roll of towels to stop it up.

XMR William Stryker

X-Men Reboot

Postby XMR William Stryker » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:24 pm

He smiled self-deprecatingly, getting about half of that but able to piece together the rest relatively quickly. You caught that, he surmised, jerking his head toward the counter. My name's W-I-L-L. You?

XMR Leeloo Zahra

X-Men Reboot

Postby XMR Leeloo Zahra » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:51 pm

Z-A-H-R-A. She signed back and then nodded at his signed question about his argument at the counter. I'm mute not deaf but even if I couldn't hear what just happened it was kind of obvious.

XMR William Stryker

X-Men Reboot

Postby XMR William Stryker » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:03 pm

"Do you prefer if I sign or speak?" Will wondered, signing and saying both, pausing in his efforts to clean briefly to do so. His signing was professional and fluent, clearly experienced. His bearing suggested military, possibly learned there. The question itself demonstrated sensitivity that he otherwise hadn't displayed, at least earlier.

XMR Leeloo Zahra

X-Men Reboot

Postby XMR Leeloo Zahra » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:26 am

She was also having to pause between cleaning to sign, so the cleaning was slow going but the clerk eventually came out with a dry and a wet mop to help clean the mess so Zahra stood up and backed away a little. When she had WIll's attention again she just shrugged in answer to his question. I don't have a preference one way or the other. Speak. Sign. She shrugged. It's all Greek to me. Which, ya know, is also a language I know, so I mean that I understand either way. She gave him kind of a lopsided sort of sheepish smirk. Sorry, that was kind of random wasn't it?

XMR William Stryker

X-Men Reboot

Postby XMR William Stryker » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:42 am

"Language buff, I take it?" Will's reply was amused. She already clearly knew BANZSL (identified by her 'accent differences,' but not exactly mutually intelligible, so fluent knowledge of both was necessary for her to make her meaning understood to an American like Will) and ASL, adding Greek to the mixture only confirmed his theory.

XMR Leeloo Zahra

X-Men Reboot

Postby XMR Leeloo Zahra » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:46 am

She made a sort of back and forth gesture with her hand flat, palm down, meaning 'kind of'. I did a lot of traveling in my youth and now I do even more for work so I kind of had to learn one way or another. There's a handful of language I only understand written or spoken, a few others I know just spoken, then there are a couple I know to sign as well. Not a language buff just... necessary. She grabbed a fresh bag of the snacks that Will had helped her ruin by crashing into her, and handed them to him to hold. He was going to have to be her basket now.

What did you do for the military that they taught you sign for? Yeah. She recognized the form of Maritime SL he was using.

XMR William Stryker

X-Men Reboot

Postby XMR William Stryker » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:56 am

"Intelligence analyst," he signed with one hand while he used the other to ferry her things, offering no resistance. After all, it was his fault anyway. "Geospatial imagery, now signals for DARPA." He gave a slight smile and shake of his head; military was in his blood, his bearing, everything about him, he wasn't surprised that she picked up on it. "But I'm a civilian, now."

XMR Leeloo Zahra

X-Men Reboot

Postby XMR Leeloo Zahra » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:34 am

She selected anther bag of snacks, mostly for the kids not personally for herself, and handed it to him with a skeptical raise of her brow. She obviously didn't believe that he was 'just a civillian'. Discharged? she signed one word but it was a word that carried a lot of gravity behind it. Sh emoved away from the snacks and towards the cold case once more. They were having a movie night tonight. If she was gonna be forced to sit through another marathon of those Supernatural shows she was gonna need some booze. That had been her initial intention anyway.

XMR William Stryker

X-Men Reboot

Postby XMR William Stryker » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:08 pm

"Retired," he corrected with a laugh. Army was the only career where you could retire at age 30, really. As young as he was, though, medical retirement was typically offered to people with medical or psychological conditions, as an alternative to honorable discharge.

XMR Leeloo Zahra

X-Men Reboot

Postby XMR Leeloo Zahra » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:34 pm

She tilted her head a little as she nodded. Retired, a man as young as him? That could only mean one of two things: that he was either much older than he appeared, or he had a medical condition that would prevent him from serving. Either scenario was possible honestly, especially in this day and age. How's retired civvie life treating you? she asked before occupying her hands by opening the cold case door and plucking a 12 pack of Kiltlifter from one of the racks inside.

XMR William Stryker

X-Men Reboot

Postby XMR William Stryker » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:46 pm

"You tell me," he replied dryly, gesturing at the mess and at the cashier he'd been yelling at only a moment ago.

XMR Leeloo Zahra

X-Men Reboot

Postby XMR Leeloo Zahra » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:05 am

She moved to the checkout counter to set her purchases down and pulled her wallet out of her pocket, she didn't carry a purse. She handed the clerk a credit card and her ID before turning back to Will. Sounds to me like you could use a drink. It was hard to tell if she was being flirtatious or just casually stating an observation.

Return to “new york city”