The Fire is Coming We'll Outrun It

This forum encompasses all threads set within New York City and its surrounding areas.
XMR Brandt Grayson

X-Men Reboot
Position: Mechanic
Mutation: Tactile Absorption
Alignment: Independent
Player: Betty Noir

Re: The Fire is Coming We'll Outrun It

Postby XMR Brandt Grayson » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:27 pm

Brandt smirked and shook his head. Part of him wanted to ask Laurie if he wanted to give Brandt a hand with the bathing, but another part of him was afraid Laurie might actually say yes and he didn't know what he would do about that. "When do you have to get back?"

XMR Lawrence Keelan

X-Men Reboot
Position: EM Resident
Mutation: Empathic Replication
Alignment: X-Men
Player: Shayne

Postby XMR Lawrence Keelan » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:06 am

"Soon, but not that soon." Laurie eyed the bathroom. "I'll leave you to it, alright? I'll come pick you up before he gets here."

XMR Brandt Grayson

X-Men Reboot

Postby XMR Brandt Grayson » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:11 am

Brandt nodded. "Sounds good. I'll seeya then."

When Laurie left he did indeed opt in for the sponge bath in the bathroom shower. He even shaved and cleaned up his goatee a little.

He was dressed in black sweatpants and a Henley by the time Laurie came back.

XMR Lawrence Keelan

X-Men Reboot

Postby XMR Lawrence Keelan » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:19 pm

"Ready to go?" Laurie grinned from the doorway.

XMR Brandt Grayson

X-Men Reboot

Postby XMR Brandt Grayson » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:22 pm

He looked up and nodded. "As I'll ever be."

XMR Lawrence Keelan

X-Men Reboot

Postby XMR Lawrence Keelan » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:16 pm

"Alright, perfect. The Dr. Xavier is waiting down by the courtyard. He's enthusiastic to meet you."

XMR Brandt Grayson

X-Men Reboot

Postby XMR Brandt Grayson » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:36 pm

Brandt nodded, smiling a little crookedly as he rolled his wheelchair closer. "Lay on, MacDuff."

XMR Lawrence Keelan

X-Men Reboot

Postby XMR Lawrence Keelan » Sat May 12, 2018 9:08 am

"Augh, Shakespeare? Really? And you went with that? Give me some Conscience of the King shit, at least." Laurie clutched his chest, wounded.

XMR Brandt Grayson

X-Men Reboot

Postby XMR Brandt Grayson » Sat May 12, 2018 9:22 am

"Sorry. If I'd known you'd want me to wax iambic pentameter at you I would have studied more." He gave Laurie a wink, grinning

XMR Lawrence Keelan

X-Men Reboot

Postby XMR Lawrence Keelan » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:43 pm

"The play's the thing / wherein I'll catch the conscience of the king!" Laurie recited dramatically. "Give me some angsty Captain Kirk any day, puh leaze." He gripped the handles of Brandt's wheelchair and whirled him around to the doorway, taking him at a jaunty clip toward the service elevator leading into the courtyard. "Oh, and, uh, you should know that the Prof is a telepath. He's sometimes a little liberal about it, but he won't pry without your permission."

XMR Charles Xavier

X-Men Reboot
Position: Headmaster
Mutation: Omega-Level Telepathy

Postby XMR Charles Xavier » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:09 pm

"Quite right," a man wheeled himself around the corner, gliding across the floor with a kind of effortless grace. Across his lap he wore a knit blanket, a gift from one of his teachers Qingying, folded in half to fit his legs. On the surface he seemed pleasant and congenial, with his hands steepled before him in a triangle, elbows resting on the arms of his chair. "Mr. Grayson, it's a pleasure to meet you." He felt the mental equivalent of someone placing a hand on his shoulder in greeting. "My name is Charles."

XMR Brandt Grayson

X-Men Reboot

Postby XMR Brandt Grayson » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:19 am

Well. At least he wasn't the only one in a wheelchair. They had that in common at least, right? Brandt smiled and nodded in greeting, gave the Doctor a wave. The mental greeting was a little unsettling at first, foreign, but not unpleasant. Brandt still managed a subtle shrug of his shoulder, though, as if trying to shrug off the sensation. "I'm glad to meet you, but if you want me to call you Charles I'm going to have to insist you call me Brandt."

XMR Charles Xavier

X-Men Reboot

Postby XMR Charles Xavier » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:17 am

"I think that can be arranged," Charles's smile was less perfunctory and more genuine this time around. "I appreciate you taking the time to speak with me. I can't imagine you're particularly optimistic about what the Institute can offer you, but I hope that you will at the very least entertain the notion that there is a place for you among us. May I?" he held out his hand, palm up, as though in invitation to shake.

XMR Brandt Grayson

X-Men Reboot

Postby XMR Brandt Grayson » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:41 pm

Brandt returned the smile with a small but genuine one of his own. "I may not be some cock-eyed optimist but I won't shoot ya down right off the bat either. I am willing to listen. To see."

Though when Charles held out his hand his nerves definiteky skyrocketed. He looked at the man's hand, knowing full well what the gesture was for. "Umm," he glanced up at Laurie, whom he thought had told Xavier what Brandt's particular power was but maybe not. He looked back at Charles's hand and shook his head. "No offense to you personally, Charles, I just--don't like to be touched. Sorry." He shrugged again and offered a slightly awkward, apologetic expression.

XMR Charles Xavier

X-Men Reboot

Postby XMR Charles Xavier » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:53 pm

"I'm aware of your mutation. I certainly won't pressure you to do anything you aren't comfortable with, but above anything else, I have always felt that practical demonstrations work best. You can exist in a world, one day, where touch will not be a barrier for you. Right now, I can provide you with a small glimmer of that future." He kept his hand extended, but not in a pushy way.

XMR Brandt Grayson

X-Men Reboot

Postby XMR Brandt Grayson » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:31 pm

Brandt swallowed hard. He didn't like having other people in his head, it made him feel crazy. He remembered every one, many of them still lingered deep in the back of his mind. He could recall memories, murders, assaults, none of which were actually committed by him personally but that he could remember and feel as if he had. Personalities. Languages. They were all there. Buried in his psyche. He didn't ever look forward to or willingly tried to take on another. "I..." he fish mouthed a little and rubbed his now sweating palms down the front of his pants. "Sorry, but no thank you. I'll--have to take your word for it, for now, doc." He tried a smile but the slightly watery eyes kind of ruined the effect. Physical touch, even just the thought, gave him all kinds of anxiety.

XMR Charles Xavier

X-Men Reboot

Postby XMR Charles Xavier » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:45 pm

"I understand. If it is any consolation, I certainly do not propose that you take on any such aspects of myself. What I am, perhaps poorly, attempting to demonstrate, is that your abilities will not affect me. Should you ever wish to experience what touch could be with control, control that we can teach you at our Institute, you may always seek me out."

XMR Brandt Grayson

X-Men Reboot

Postby XMR Brandt Grayson » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:55 pm

Brandt raised a skeptical eyebrow. Why hadn't he just said that in the first place. "How do you know?" He asked, still skeptical but the thought of actually touching someone, even if just a handshake, without being kicked in the ass with some invasion of the bodysnatchers mumbo jumbo, well, the prospect had him intrigued if nothing else, but also a little hopeful. "That my powers won't affect you, I mean, how do you know?"

XMR Charles Xavier

X-Men Reboot

Postby XMR Charles Xavier » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:03 pm

"My mutation does not make me omniscient," Charles chuckled, "but I am intimately familiar with the limits of my reach. The things I can and can't do. A series of mental barriers is well within my capacity, to prevent you from experiencing the onslaught of my personality and to prevent myself from transferring to you in the first place."

XMR Brandt Grayson

X-Men Reboot

Postby XMR Brandt Grayson » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:41 pm

Brandt was still skeptical and his still raised eyebrow maybe said as such. "Sounds wonderful." He slowly reached out his hand but then drew it back. "This isn't some weird sort of mutant fraternity hazing is it?" He was fighting a smirk but he reached his hand forward again, still nervous as hell. He with just the tips of his fingers touching Charles's and closed his eyes. When nothing happened, he peaked open one eye. Then the other and more boldly slipped his hand into Charles for a shake. The feel of palm against palm without being overwhelmed by his power absorbing the other persons life force was something Brandt hadn't felt since he was a child. His palms were rough and calloused but he took Charles hand firmly in his own and sighed, staring at their joint hands intently. Waiting anxiously for the bad to happen. Touch. Actual human touch that was just that. Just a touch.

Brandt's eyes watered over and he took several breaths in and out and licked his lips. He glanced across at Charles and huffed softly at himself, amazed. "I'm in," he said with a crooked, watery smirk.

XMR Charles Xavier

X-Men Reboot

Postby XMR Charles Xavier » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:21 pm

Charles gave his hand a squeeze. "You're one of us," he echoed the sentiments of his longtime friend with a smile. "You have a home at the Institute if you wish it, and with time, I believe you'll be capable of controlling your mutation. Consider this a promise." He laid his other hand on top of Brandt's. "We will figure it out, together."

XMR Brandt Grayson

X-Men Reboot

Postby XMR Brandt Grayson » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:24 am

He too brought his second hand up to take both of Charles's into his own, reciprocating the gesture. An actual tear or two slipped from the corn of each eye and he bashed his cheek on the sleeve on his shoulder. "Yeah," his voice was a little shaky from emotion and he cleared it softly. "Here's hoping?" He chuckled softly in amusement and cleared his throat as he moved to release Xavier's hands. "Thank you."

XMR Charles Xavier

X-Men Reboot

Postby XMR Charles Xavier » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:48 am

"The other thing I wished to speak with you about, is whether or not you might be interested in transferring your convalescence to the Institute's medical facilities. I've known Dr. Marshall for quite some time and he has agreed to treat you there, if you would prefer to live elsewhere than a septic hospital."

XMR Brandt Grayson

X-Men Reboot

Postby XMR Brandt Grayson » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:34 pm

They were actually gonna let him continue treatment somewhere other than the hospital? Sign Brandt the fuck up. "Yes," he said with little hesitation. "I would appreciate that very much." He hated hospitals.

Return to “new york city”